Crispy Sweet Sticky Spicy Wings
IngredientsFor the Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings washed trimmed and cut in pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
For the Glaze
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp Chinese crushed chili paste or use chopped fresh chilies (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
InstructionsTo Prepare the Wings
- Wash trim excess skin and fat and cut the wings into pieces discarding the tips. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix together the flour nutmeg cayenne pepper five spice powder sea salt black pepper and ground ginger.
- Prepare an egg wash by whisking together the eggs and milk.
- Dredge the egg washed wings in the flour mixture and drop them in a canola oil filled and preheated 350 degree F deep fryer for about 8-10 minutes or little longer for larger wings until a medium golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack placed on a cookie sheet. Hold in a 175 degree oven if making more than one batch.
To Prepare the Glaze
- Add the oil and garlic to a small saucepan.
- Saute over medium heat until the garlic is softened but not browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour over all the cooked wings in a large bowl and toss well to cover the wings in the glaze before serving.
- You can also just serve the glaze as a dipping sauce if you prefer.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE